Lattes, cappuccinos, mochas, oh my! It’s winter here, and if you’re like me, you love to cozy up with a warm cup of tea or something more decadent like a latte. But…I honestly hate buying them from Bigby, Starbucks, etc. I usually find them too sweet or processed to the point where I’m not even sure what I’m tasting. Also, the price of even my favorite tea latte from Bigby gets me worked up! I’m a budgeter and while I’ll indulge occasionally…I really wanted to know. Could I make something even better at home? You betcha!
Tea lattes, especially with the cold weather, are my absolute favorite. As soon as I started experimenting, I found they are incredibly easy to make. This one does not require fancy froster, though one day I might invest in one! 😉 I also like that I got to choose how much added sugar I would consume. I know, I know you can ask for less when you buy one at a shop…but at home I’ve got my own options instead of standard pumps.
As you may have already realized here, I’m a big fan of making things at home in general. Going out is fun too, but a lot of times you can make the meal/beverage at home and the nutrition quality is just better.
Long story short, let’s try this recipe out!
- 2 tsp tea (or 1 tea bag) steep in 6 oz water
- 1 tsp honey or sweetener of choice
- 1 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened, you can use any preferred milk/alternative)
- dash of powdered ginger for topping
- Brew your tea according to the package
- While tea is brewing, heat milk on the stove top and mix in your sweetener
- Do not let milk get to a boil!
- Pour milk into a tall enough container to froth or use an immersion blender and blend until frothy
- Pour milk into your tea (remove the bag) and sprinkle with ginger seasoning
You could swap out the tea, spices, sugar, and milk and develop all sorts of concoctions! What would you want to try? If you make it, be sure to snap a selfie and tag me over on Instagram – @the_beer_dietitian.
Chorizo Stuffed Acorn Squash
Cocoa Ginger Energy Balls
Peach Overnight Oats
Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Bites
Breakfast Pumpkin Cookies
Peanut Butter Coconut Spread
Honey Mustard Yogurt Sauce