It’s almost Memorial day and I couldn’t be more excited for an extended weekend. This year is a little bitter sweet as the last two years I was running a marathon with two amazing running partners and friends. However, it’s always hotter than any other weekend in May so I may not miss it as much as I think I will! I digress! If you’ve got yard work to do and you want an easy summer meal to cook while you work…try my slow cooker BBQ pulled pork with a TWIST! Instead of adding slaw to the top, which I never liked due to the high mayo content, I add raw coleslaw right to the crock pot with the pork.
Mic drop! I know! See, Steve and I are on a tight budget and I like to stretch a recipe out by adding inexpensive extras right to it. A bag of coleslaw (or better yet shredding some of your own cabbage) is usually $1.00-$2.00 but adds a lot of extra fiber and nutrients to the pork. Plus, most of us would do well to have a little more fiber in our bellies so this is a quick and easy way to do just that.
As you can see in the photo, to make my plate more colorful (and fiber filled) I also added roasted sweet potatoes, watermelon, and a side salad. I used slider buns because we had them in the freezer BUT I found that my eyes were more satisfied having two sliders and a mix of my fruits and veggies! Hello, variety and color and nutrients…all of these combine to help make a more satisfying meal you can enjoy mindfully.
Last thing before I share the recipe, the prep work takes five minutes…and that’s if you’re struggling to open the bag of coleslaw! Not only does it have slaw cooked right in it, there’s one more hidden ingredient. Milk! There’s only one third of a cup but I find it helps to add a little fat to crock pot meat so it doesn’t dry out. Trust me, this recipe turns out super moist and I hate using that word so that must mean it’s good. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker: BBQ Pulled Pork and Slaw
- 1 Pork tenderloin try one plain or pre-seasoned
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce try to find one without high fructose cornsyrup
- 1/3 cup Milk (2%)
- 1 bag cole slaw mix or get a cabbage and shred your own, about three to four cups worth
- Plop the tenderloin in your slow cooker. If it’s too long, cut it into three chunks
- Add your BBQ sauce and using a rubber spatula, spread the sauce over and under the meat
- Add your milk and spread again using the same spatula
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 3-4 (I find this cooks relatively fast so don’t be afraid to check it and cut back on time if your crock pot is speedy hot like mine)
- In the last hour, take two forks and shred the pork. Leave all of the juices/liquids in and add your cole slaw. Mix to combine and let it cook on low for the final hour regardless if you started low or high.
- Allow to cool by removing it from the crock pot (or set it to warm) and open to air (or crack the lid open a little). This helps some of the moisture escape but keeps the meat from getting to dry.
- Enjoy over sliders or on nachos or if needed add a little more BBQ on top!
I’ve even added crushed pineapple to this recipe and that made for an extra sweet and savory mixture. Are you a pulled pork fan? What are you making for Memorial Day weekend? I hope you have a good one!