Anyone else actually tired of the heat? I am a little bit. Maybe it’s just new mom nerves but going outside with LP when it’s this hot is stressful. Sometimes I feel really confident about all things baby and then mother nature turns the thermostat to 90+ and we bunker down inside. I suppose this gets easier overtime. I forget that he’s not even three months old yet and we don’t have to have everything perfectly figured out.
Thinking of figuring things out, I have had more time to focus on this blog and my pursuit of entrepreneurship. I’m excited because in the past I always felt like I was behind because of some arbitrary deadline (set by my own head mind you). This means I’ve got lots of fun and hopefully helpful content for you all!
So, let’s get to the content shall we? I’ll try to keep recipe posts like this short. Today’s recipe is a Summer Quinoa Salad! It’s colorful, filling, zesty and works great on its own or as a side salad with grilled chicken or brats.
TBH I was going to make this salad with couscous. I prefer it with that but on recipe photo shoot day I only had quinoa. I still loved it but just know you could totally swap in couscous or an alternative grain as well.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 3 mini cucumbers, halved & sliced or deseed one large cucumber
- 1 can low sodium/NSA chick peas drained and rinsed
- 1 can low sodium/NSA corn drained and rinsed - or use to ears fresh!
- 2 nectarines, chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 lemons just for the juice
- 1 tsp basil a handful of fresh basil chopped is great too
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to directions. Some people like to cook it in broth but I find that makes it too salty, personally.
- Add all of your ingredients together in one big bowl
- Stir to combine and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Send me a photo or better yet, leave a review or give me a rating! You can always tag me on Instagram @Holden_Nutrition!
If I can make this salad during LP’s 30 minute nap then that is a HUGE win. I’ll be focusing on quick meals even more so now that I’ll be going back to work on the 13th when my baby’s approaching his 3 month! Insert that happy crying emoji face 😉
If you make this salad, don’t forget to snap a photo and send it to me! You can tag me on Instagram @Holden_Nutrition. Lastly, get ready for a little site revamp of color, brand, and a new logo that my sister made for me! Eek!