The perfect change up to family pizza night you didn’t know you needed! Butter Chicken Pizza is creamy, aromatic and full of flavor. Naan makes a perfect crust for it or make your own whole wheat pizza dough instead!
What You’ll Need
- Chicken thighs or breasts
- Butter chicken sauce – I buy this one from Aldi
- Green onion or cilantro for topping
- Naan for a personal pizza or your favorite pizza dough
How to Make
Butter chicken can be made from scratch easily and it’s absolutely delicious. However, using a shortcut like a slow cooker and a jar of ready-made butter chicken is great for someone with less time looking for more flavor.
All ingredients (except the naan/crust and garnishes) will be added to a slow cooker and cooked on low for about four hours or on high two to three.
When there’s approximately 30 minutes left on the chicken being slow cooked, cut and make the cauliflower. There are lots of options! Cut cauliflower could be added to the slow cooker and allowed to steam and cook with the meal. Alternatively, cut the cauliflower into desired florets and air fry at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Or the cauliflower can be roasted in the oven, steamed in the microwave, or even sautéed on the stove.
Small, pre-made naan can be toasted in the toaster and toppings can be added after. Alternatively, all toppings (including the cauliflower) can be placed on a piece of naan and the pizza can be air fried in a matter of three to five minutes.
Is an Air Fryer Necessary
No, you can use a toaster to quickly heat up your naan and place ingredients on each piece. The naan can also be baked in the oven with the toppings on top. If going the oven route, place parchment paper on a pan and line it with multiple pizzas. Bake at 350 for ten to fifteen minutes. Either way, I recommend you cook or reheat the naan for optimal flavor and texture.
This butter chicken pizza can easily be swapped to a plant based meal using lentils, chickpeas/garbanzo beans, or tofu. If using lentils, I recommend you cook them in a broth/water solution and mix them with the butter chicken sauce. It would be best to sauté or bake tofu prior to combining with the sauce. Canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans are ready to eat out of the can. Combine with sauce, heat up and enjoy!
You don’t have to choose animal protein or plant protein for this dish. Try adding a bit of both and find a combination that feels best for you.
How Long Does it Last
Leftovers will last seven to ten days in the fridge in an airtight container. If you’re in my house, the butter chicken didn’t last past pizza night! Leftovers can be repurposed and served with a side of rice or frozen for up to three months.
The mini naan bread from Aldi is a weekly staple in our home. Often I buy two if it’s on sale and I’ll put the entire package, unopened, into the freezer. The pieces separate well from each other and placing the frozen naan directly in the toaster works well. It comes out just as warm, fluffy, and soft.
Of course I am recommending this be eaten like pizza! Alternatively, serve the butter chicken mixture with rice, cauliflower and a side of Greek yogurt. The pizza also goes great with a salad on the side or an additional serving of your choice cold cut vegetables with hummus.
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Butter Chicken Pizza
- 1 slow cooker This can also be made in a pot over the stove in approximately 20 minutes if you don't have a slow cooker.
- 1 lb chicken breasts can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 15 oz Jar pre made butter chicken sauce
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 yellow onion
- cilantro or green onion for garnish
- Add the chicken whole if you want to shred it once cooked or dice the chicken and add pieces to slow cooker.
- Dice and add the onion to the slow cooker.
- Mix the entire jar of butter chicken sauce into the slow cooker and stir to coat the chicken and onion.
- Allow to cook on high for two to three hours.
- In the last 30 minutes, prepare the cauliflower but cutting it into desired floret size and cook it by adding to the slow cooker, air frying it, sautéing it, or roasting it.
- If garnishing with green onion or cilantro, prepare garnish now.
- Take the pre made mini naan and toast each one individually, top with pizza toppings (chicken, sauce, onion and cauliflower) and garnish with cilantro or green onion. Alternatively, place a naan in an air fryer, add toppings, and air fry at 350 for 3-5 minutes.
- If you wish to not use short cuts, you can make your own naan and butter chicken sauce.
- Chicken thighs and breasts both work well either cubed ahead of time or cooked, shredded, and mixed back in with the sauce
- Cauliflower can also be eaten on the side instead of as a pizza topping
Chorizo Stuffed Acorn Squash
Cocoa Ginger Energy Balls
Peach Overnight Oats
Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Bites
Breakfast Pumpkin Cookies
Peanut Butter Coconut Spread
Honey Mustard Yogurt Sauce