I’m on a smoothie kick lately. Call it Summer food fever or whatever but I LOVE the easiness and portability of them!
As I’ve grown this blog for eight months I’ve worked at figuring out who I’m trying to serve and what I’m trying to do. It’s still an image getting sharpened but I’m proud to say all I want to do is provide livable and doable suggestions for a healthy life. To me, smoothies are livable and totally doable right now! A little prep can go a long way with a smoothie but it’s totally fine to run out the door and leave the blender in the sink.
Something to think about when you’re making a smoothie is to mix up the macronutrients and food groups within them. For example, instead of just having a fruit smoothie with juice and ice added in, which your body will break down faster. Make sure you add in a protein, veggie, and or a dairy! This way your body will feel fuller longer and you’ll keep your blood sugar levels stable.
To get this train started, we’re hitting it off with a blueberry (c’mon Michigan blueberry season!) lemon and vanilla smoothie. It is smooth, creamy and while my recipe has Greek yogurt in it for added calcium and protein, it’s also great with any nut butter or a scoop of whey protein powder if that’s you’re thing.
- blender or immersion blender
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt I use Aldi's whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice for less zip, just do 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk or soy, rice, coconut, cow, etc.
- 1/2 cup crushed ice if desired to add thickness/coldness
- Throw everything in the blender or in a container for your immersion blender. Blend it up and drink it!
- Side notes: You can add your nut butters or whey protein in as well but may need another 1/2 cup of liquid.
One thought on “Blueberry Lemon Vanilla Smoothie”
Pingback: Bahama Mama Tropical Smoothie Recipe | The Kitchen Invitation