Let’s get real, have you ever had one of those late night runs to Taco Bell? Thinking back on days where my friends and I would have a few beers and/or get those munchies we’d pile in a car and go grab some food. It has been years since I’ve been to a Taco Bell because honestly, I never feel great after I eat there so I don’t go much anymore…but I still think about my favorite thing to order there! It was always one of two things. The cheesy wrap (literally just melted cheese in a tortilla) or the cheesy gordita crunch. Anyone else?
So when Egglife shared that they were hosting a recipe contest using their egg based wraps, all I could think about was making a modified and healthier version of the cheesy gordita crunch! One that would provide healthy nutrients like protein and fiber but wouldn’t lack in flavor or crunch. I am happy to report that these did NOT disappoint!
Of note, I did receive a coupon for free Egglife wraps in order to participate in this contest. However, the recipe, ideas, and opinions are all my own. If you want to read more about disclosures like this please click here.
If you’ve never tried Egglife wraps before you can find the closest retail option for them by clicking here. They are essentially tortillas made from egg whites and a few other simple ingredients. Each wrap is under 35 calories per wrap and contains 5-6 grams of protein. These wraps have less than 1 gram of carbohydrate which could support someone modifying the amount of carbohydrates they consume. They are also gluten free which is helpful for those with celiac disease.
Of note, I am never one to say that carbohydrates are bad. In fact, they’re an essential nutrient and the prime source of energy/fuel for the brain. However, I understand different conditions warrant spreading out carbohydrates throughout the day or eating less carbohydrates. Or perhaps someone is not meeting protein needs – this could be a way to help them get there.
For me, I enjoy them wrapped with a tortilla because I love me some regular whole wheat tortillas! For that purpose, they add a soft layer of protein that works well with just about any style of wrap you can imagine. I did use their wraps in another fun recipe on my Youtube channel. You can find that by clicking here. Let’s get to the recipe though, I’m getting hungry just typing about it!
- 1 package egglife wraps
- 1 package hard shell tacos
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning *alternatively just combine: 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, & 1 tsp onion powder*
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno sliced for spicy lovers
- cherry tomatoes, diced for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Lay out your egg life tortillas on parchment paper and divide the cheese amongst all tortillas
- Lay down your hard shell taco on each egglife wrap and bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Remove and fold other side of egg life wrap on to the hardshell taco
- While the cheese is cooking saute the ground turkey with seasonings and 1/2 cup of salsa to keep it juicy.
- In a small bowl mix the Greek yogurt with the remaining 1/2 cup salsa for the dressing
- When the tortillas are out of the oven fill with the meat, drizzle on the sauce and add any other toppings you like!
I promise these will not disappoint, are high in protein, and hey, they also shouldn’t upset your stomach if you typically experience that after a fast food run ;). Please let me know if you make them!
Chorizo Stuffed Acorn Squash
Cocoa Ginger Energy Balls
Peach Overnight Oats
Black Bean Sweet Potato Soup
Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Bites
Breakfast Pumpkin Cookies
Peanut Butter Coconut Spread
Honey Mustard Yogurt Sauce