This Dried Cheese Savory Trail Mix is a must have whether you’re hosting a party or wanting a snack to crunch on. A high protein trail mix like this one is guaranteed to keep you full and satisfied all afternoon. It’s not just for hiking, it’s for any day of the week!
Trail mix is one of the best snacks because it’s easily customizable to suit your preferences. Whether you prefer it on the sweet side or need it to be nut free, it’s simple and easy to change. In this post I’ll share my method for full proof trail mix every single time.
Ingredients for Dried Cheese Trail Mix
A snack like this is great because it only has three ingredients. Trail mix can be more complicated and involve cooking but this one is a meant to be fast and ready to eat in minutes.
- Life Cereal: I chose Life cereal because it has 3g of fiber and 4g of protein per serving. It also has two teaspoons of added sugar which is the perfect amount of sweetness. There are lots of cereal options but to keep you fuller longer, try to find one like this with some fiber and protein in it.
- Honey roasted peanuts: Plain peanuts are just plain boring to me so adding another layer of flavor to this mix with honey roasted peanuts is the way to go. They’ll add that soft crunch and bit of salty, sweetness to balance it all out.
- Dried cheese: I like to use Moon Cheese or these cheese crisps from Aldi. If using the cheese crisps, break them into smaller pieces ahead of time for a more uniformed mix.
Learn How to Make It
This savory trail mix will be ready for you to snack on in under five minutes. Literally, all you’re going to need to do is pour the ingredients into a bowl. Mix them together and you’re done.
It really is that simple!
Custom Trail Mix
Want to make your own trail mix? I have a calculated method I like to follow at home to help make the right mixture of flavor and nutrition. Add one ingredient from each column for six, half cup servings.
Benefits of Trail Mix
Extra satisfying and filling, trail mix is a snack of choice. You can make a large bowl of it and set it out for a party or make a batch and divide it into snack bags for your lunches all week. Either way, you’re in for a satisfying, budget friendly, and nutritious snack.
- Protein: The dried cheese in this trail mix adds 30 grams of protein to the entire batch. This plus the added protein from the roasted peanuts will make it a great, filling snack to get you from meal-to-meal.
- Whole Grain Cereal: Choosing a whole grain cereal will give you more fiber and ultimately more bang for your buck. Whole grains are not milled like refined grains so they retain the germ and endosperm part of the grain. This means more fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Quality Fat: Trail mix is a fabulous way to help meet your quality fat intake goals. Quality fats are unsaturated fats such as polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. These may help with cholesterol, inflammation and fat provides satisfaction and staying power as well.
Does Trail Mix Go Bad
It has a really long shelf life depending on what you add to it. Of course, longer air exposure is going to lead to a stale product. Be sure to put it in an air tight container
If you’re making this for a party, store it in a large bowl with a lid and don’t let it air out ahead of time. Alternatively, if you’re meal prepping, divide it into small bags for a quick, ready to grab snack.
Other Savory Snack Ideas
Not into trail mix? Any of the individual components of trail mix could be a great savory snack on its own. The number of savory snack options out there is staggering.
- Cheese and crackers
- Cheese puffs
- Meat snacks and jerky
- Nuts and seeds
- Fried chickpeas
- Corn chips
- Avocado (yes, it’s a savory fruit!)
- Small charcuterie boards
- Root veggie chips
- Dried seaweed
- Air-popped popcorn with seasonings
Dried Cheese Savory Trail Mix
- 3 cups Life cereal or any cereal of choice
- 2 cups honey roasted peanuts sub in any nut or go nut-free using different seeds instead*
- 3 cups dried cheese**
Would you try this? I made it for my husband and it was gone real fast! Let me know what you think.